Thursday, August 20, 2009

Always Over Prepare

I have now given my Comedy Economy magic talk four times. Each time it gets better and better but I learned about over preparing at my last talk.

The talk was to a Realtor marketing group in the Silver Creek area of San Jose. During the talk I had an audience member choose numbers at random. Eventually there are 5 rows of 6 digit numbers. Then I have a person add the numbers-the magic is after the second set of numbers are written down I already present the answer.

I had given the talk three times with no problems but for some reason I could not explain to the Realtor group how to add the numbers. It was not them or because they are Realtors; it was that I was unclear in my explanation.

So, I will be giving this talk to the National Association of Business Economist next month and I will take a simple calculator with me and explain to a participant exactly what I want them to do. That way there will be no glich and no problem.

I have learned: Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong !

Doug Jones
www.mortgagemagic.com

No comments: